Iced Lattes! They are on everybody’s minds as we begin to slide into the warm months. If you love espresso and milk and all things delicious and coffee, there is just no way that you haven’t thought of having one. But what about when your favorite coffee spot is closed? What about in the morning when you have no time to stop before work? What about when you can’t get the espresso that you crave? You don’t have an espresso machine! Don’t panic just yet. There is a way that you can make a shot of super strong coffee perfectly suited to your iced latte needs, in your home without the need for super fancy equipment. The answer to all of your summer caffeine prayers is called a Cold Brew Toddy.
What is a cold brew toddy? Simply put, it is a very strong cold brew concentrate. Using a ratio in favor of coarsely ground coffee over water, you can produce a cold brew coffee that can be used to mirror espresso in drinks like iced lattes, Americanos, frappes, and anything else that you can imagine! The best part, it is super easy to make. The catch, it requires a bit of a wait. So if you’re ready to let the magic happen overnight let’s make one.
Cold Brew Toddy:
- 1.5 pounds coarsely ground Guatemala Santo Domingo
- 1 gallon Water (between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Toddy System
- Pour coffee over water
- Agitate the grounds so that all are wet. Leave for 30-45 seconds and allow to bloom
- Agitate the grounds again so that the crust is soft and moveable
- Allow the mixture to steep 12-24 hours
Now that you have your super strong brew, let’s talk about mixing it into the perfect summer drink. All you’ll need is some milk and maybe something a little fancy to spice it up! I’m talking, of course, about syrups. They are in every single coffee shop, gas stations have them, you can pick them up at grocery stores, and you can make them in your home! From Vanilla to Croissant flavors, syrups are the easiest way to give your drink a little sweet something extra to satisfy your cravings. Because we are crossing our fingers for something like summer to burst through the clouds, let’s make a syrup that puts us in the summer mood, with things that you likely already have in your kitchen.
Strawberry Simple Syrup:
- 2 cups Fresh Strawberries
- 2 cups White Sugar
- Splash of Lemon juice (Optional. See tips at the end)
- 2 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- Remove the stems and leaves from the strawberries and cut in quarters.
- Combine all ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a rolling boil.
- Lower the temperature to avoid boiling over and simmer for 25-30 minutes, making sure to stir regularly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth strain the strawberries from the syrup mixture (I used cheesecloth to keep seeds out of the syrup).
- Allow mixture to cool before serving.
Alright! Now that we have everything we need it is time to make a really delicious Strawberry Iced Latte!
Strawberry Iced Latte:
- 1oz Strawberry Simple Syrup
- 2.5 oz Cold Brew Toddy
- 8-12 oz your favorite milk or milk alternative (I used Oat Milk)
- Mix simple syrup and Cold Brew Toddy at the bottom of your favorite cup. Make sure that they are well combined.
- Pour milk over the mixture.
- Add ice.
Delicious! Just a few tips to improve your latte success! If you are already using a non dairy milk, this tip is not for you. But if whole, skim, or any other cow milk is the star of your show, be mindful of the citric acid that is in your syrup. This may cause your milk to curdle. If you know in advance that you are going to use a dairy milk, maybe leave the lemon juice out. You can also feel free to add things like chocolate syrup or even peanut butter (I suggest melting it first) for a PB and J latte! Get creative, there is no wrong answer. Let us know what you come up with!